SEMPER and SCORE
Published: July 2008
Suggested price: £25.00
Preview: see e-book sample
Buy print edition from:
- IT Governance
- or order from Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Borders or your local bookshop
Buy e-book edition from:
Traditional management texts focus most of their attention on ways to improve local efficiency. Yet the real goal is enhancing enterprise effectiveness – for which an over-emphasis on efficiency alone can cause more harm than good. As enterprise architects, tasked with creating enterprise structures and capabilities that are ‘efficient on purpose’, we need some means to keep aware of the whole enterprise at all times, right down into the details of day-to-day work.
This book introduces a suite of tools and techniques to fulfil that need. These include SEMPER, which not only provides a rapid diagnostic to measure enterprise effectiveness, but automatically identifies appropriate interventions for change; and SCORE, a versatile replacement for SWOT analysis.
Topics covered include:
- how to assess, in a matter of minutes, the overall ‘ability to do work’ in any part of the enterprise, or in the enterprise as a whole
- how to identify and resolve ‘red-flag’ risks that impact on the entire enterprise
- how to develop strategies and tactics that are ‘whole-of-enterprise-aware’
- how to resolve differences in perspective across different aspects of the enterprise
- how to enhance enterprise effectiveness with ‘virtuous circle’ workflows
If you want to extend your enterprise-architecture to the whole-of-enterprise scale, this is one book you’ll definitely need.
Tom Graves has been an independent consultant for almost three decades, in business transformation, enterprise architecture and knowledge management. His clients in Europe, Australia and the USA cover a broad range of industries including banking, utilities, logistics, engineering, media, telecoms, research, defence and government. He has a special interest in architecture for non-IT-centric enterprises, and integration between IT-based and non-IT-based services.